Fire Sprinklers Extinguish Fire in Apartment

Tour Commander, 509.625.7100

Thursday, February 23, 2023 at 10:56 a.m.

On February 23, 2023, at 5:52 AM, the Spokane Fire Department (SFD) was notified of a fire in the Agnes Kehoe Apartments located in the 5300 Block of North Regal Street. A single-unit apartment fire broke out in the building, causing minor damage to multiple units. The fire was quickly contained, and no one was injured.

According to initial reports, the fire started from an overheated battery-operated device that came into contact with a mattress in the unit. The building's alarm system was triggered, and most of the tenants were able to evacuate safely. A fire sprinkler in the affected unit activated and successfully extinguished the fire. Tenants from the affected units were allowed back into the building and directed to a community room for warmth. The temperature was nine degrees at the time of the incident.

Tenants in uninhabitable apartments are working with the building management to either be returned to their units or provided temporary accommodations. Fortunately, no firefighters or civilians were reported injured. The tenant of the fire apartment requested an evaluation after being exposed to cold temperatures in wet clothing. However, they refused transport and were placed in the community room until they could access their apartment.

The incident remains under investigation by the SIU.