Tour Commander, 509.625.7100
Monday, January 30, 2023 at 12:27 p.m.
At 1:36 AM on January 30, 2023, the Spokane Fire Department (SFD) was dispatched to the report of a house on fire in the 500 Block of West Glass Avenue. The first fire company arrived within minutes of notification and found heavy smoke coming from the second floor of the occupied residence.
Arriving firefighters located a working fire in the bathroom that was quickly growing and threatening the home's attic and adjacent living areas. Hose lines were deployed promptly to the second floor while other firefighters were laddering the roof to provide ventilation during the coordinated fire attack. Additional firefighters immediately searched the structure and determined that no occupants were trapped or needed assistance.
The determination of the cause remains an open case for the SFD's Investigation Division. Initial findings by the Incident Commander identified combustible materials too close to a space heater; however, the formal cause has not been issued. No injuries resulted from the incident.