Firefighters Quickly Stop House Fire in Shadle Neighborhood

Tour Commander, 509.625.7100

Tuesday, January 17, 2023 at 9:40 a.m.

On January 12, 2023, at 3:35 PM, the Spokane Fire Department (SFD) was dispatched to a reported house on fire in the 4800 Block of North Adams Street. The North Battalion Chief arrived on the scene in two minutes and reported a small residential home with smoke coming from the rear and side of the house. As firefighters arrived, they entered the structure with hand lines and quickly controlled a working fire in the kitchen area. Firefighters thoroughly searched the structure and confirmed that no people or pets were inside the home. Additionally, they limited loss by removing the fire's opportunity to extend into adjacent areas and void spaces. The house was ventilated entirely using fans and natural openings, removing the hazardous atmosphere. 

No civilians or firefighters were injured in fighting the fire. The cause was determined to be cooking.

Educational Reminder: Always keep a lid nearby when using a stovetop. If a small grease fire starts, with an oven mitt on, use the cover to smother the flames by sliding it over the pot or pan, and turning off the burner. Leave the pan where it is and wait until it has cooled to remove the lid. Never use water on a grease fire. If a fire occurs inside an oven, turn the oven temperature off and keep the door closed until the flames are extinguished. Have a qualified professional inspect the oven before using it again. When in doubt about a kitchen fire, get out. When you leave, close the door to help contain the fire. Once you are outside the home, use a mobile phone or a trusted neighbor's phone to call 9-1-1.