Tour Commander, 509.625.7100
Monday, April 27, 2020 at 2:46 p.m.
?Just before 2 PM on Saturday, April 25 companies from the Spokane Fire Department and Fire District 9 responded to a 911 report of a fire located in the basement at NorthTown Mall.
Northtown Security had notified 911 to report smoke and a possible fire in the basement. Fire companies found light smoke conditions in the basement upon arrival. Upon further investigation, it was determined that a water pump servicing an aquarium on the first floor had malfunctioned. The pump that failed was tasked with maintaining a consistent water level inside the aquarium above, and its failure allowed the water level inside the tank to rise and spillover. Once loose from the container, the water found its way to the basement via electrical and plumbing passages and caused an electrical event inside the equipment located in the basement directly below.
NorthTown Security was instrumental in the professional and orderly evacuation of personnel from inside the structure, which allowed fire crews to focus on mitigating the emergency. As several firefighters worked to divert the water from further exacerbating the electrical issues, additional fire companies worked on removing standing water from the basement. Avista utilities were requested and arrived to assist with controlling the electrical service and rendering it safe to reoccupy the structure.
NorthTown management has been an excellent partner with local first responders over the past several years. The leadership has allowed regular access to their facilities and has been a participating partner in joint training and facility tours. Professional partnerships between private businesses and local emergency responders allow for rapid and professional mitigation of emergency incidents and provide for a safer Spokane.