Tour Commander, 509.625.7100
Tuesday, January 21, 2020 at 12:53 p.m.
At 12:58 PM Sunday afternoon, SFD companies were dispatched to a drive-by report of smoke coming from a commercial building at the intersection of East Main Avenue and North Magnolia Street. The first arriving company observed smoke coming from a large metal-clad building housing an unattended coffee roasting operation. After making entry, companies using thermal imaging discovered a fire located in a waste container in the roaster machinery. The fire had had extended into the chimney and was causing a significant amount of smoke inside the structure. The fire was quickly extinguished, and the building ventilated to remove smoke. Damage was limited to the product only, and firefighters were able to successfully protect the machinery and building's components.
The building and equipment are valued at over $1,000,000. SFD's efforts prevented any damage to the building and equipment.
The nature of the fire is accidental and the cause of the fire was related to an equipment malfunction. There were no injuries to firefighters or civilians.